You are here
Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Create a Wiki Activity
Applies to: Moodle 2.8, 3.0, 3.2
A Wiki activity is a collection of collaboratively authored web pages. A Wiki page is a web page everyone in your class can create together in the browser. The first page can start with a topic idea followed by a list of ideas. Each idea can link to a new page of details which can include Images and URLs. Each author can edit any page and add new pages by creating links. These abilities make Wikis a great tool for brainstorming.
There are two Wiki types: Collaborative or Individual.
- No Groups - There is only one Wiki. The teacher and all students can view and edit this Wiki.
- Separate Groups - There is one Wiki per Group. Students can view and edit the Wiki of their own Group only.
- Visible Groups - There is one wiki per Group. Students can edit the wiki of their own Group, and view the wikis of other Groups.
- The individual type creates a Wiki for each person in the class and can be used as a private journal, viewable only by instructors.
- No Groups - Every student has their own Wiki that only they and their teacher can view and edit.
- Separate Groups - Every student has their own Wiki, which only they and their teacher can edit. Students can view the Wikis of other students in their Group only.
- Visible Groups - Every student has their own Wiki, which only they and their teacher can edit. Students can view the Wikis of other students in their Group, and Wikis in other Groups as well.
Note: When using groups with Wikis, instructors should at least start the first Wiki page for each group individually. There can be some odd behavior with Visible Groups.
Creating a Wiki Activity
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource in the section where you want to add the Wiki.
- Select Wiki and click Add.
- In the Wiki name text box, enter a name.
- In the Wiki description html text box, enter a description.
- In the First page name text box, enter a name for the first page of the wiki.
Note: The First page name can be the same or different from the Wiki name. Be sure to type something, or the First page name will display “First page name.” This cannot be changed.
- Select a wiki mode: Collaborative wiki or Individual wiki.
- Keep the default format: HTML.
- Check the box Force format. (Otherwise, users will be presented with an extra page to choose between three formats: HTML, Creole or NWiki markup code.)
- Click Save and display.