Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Create New Questions in the Question Bank
Applies to: Moodle 2.8, 3.0, 3.2.
The Question Bank is where you create, preview, and edit questions in a course.
- Each quiz question type has specific requirements and specialized options.
- Questions can be used in multiple quizzes if they are not changed.
- Question can also be duplicated and modified for use in another test.
- Questions are stored in one of three locations:
- The Default [CourseName] category.
- Self-created categories or subcategories.
- The Default [QuizName] category.
Questions are most often created directly in the Moodle site using the browser interface. However, questions can be created in a third party application, like Respondus, or imported from another Moodle site when exported. See Publish Questions from Respondus to Moodle Directly for more information.
- Go to the course site homepage.
- Find the Administration block:
- Click Question bank.
- Choose a category for the new question(s) from the Select a category menu. See Add Categories to the Quiz Question Bank for further instructions.
- Click Create a new question.
- Choose a question type and click Next.
- Set up the question with the options available and Save changes.
The new question appears on the Questions page with further editing/moving options and has been added to the category you selected.
Things to consider:
- Quiz questions can be made and stored in the Question Bank before a quiz has been made by the instructor or designer.
- All quiz questions must be placed in a category within in the question bank.
- Questions can be moved to another category at any time.
- Quiz question titles should be unique to allow for clarity when copying and using questions.
- New questions are automatically valued at 1 point. You may change their value/weight when you create them or when you add them to a quiz/test.
- It is highly recommended to add new questions to the course when accessing the Question Bank instead of when making an actual quiz.
- You will be able to store the questions in the Default [CourseName] category and another Top Level self-created category.
- Questions in either of these two location will be accessible for ALL quizzes.
- Questions made from the Edit Quiz page when making a quiz are only accessible from the Edit Quiz page for that quiz.