Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Create Groups with Randomly Assigned Members
Applies to: Moodle 2.8, 3.0, 3.2.
You can quickly and randomly divide your students into a certain number of Groups (e.g., 20 small groups), or groups of a certain number (e.g., groups of five). This is the most efficient way to create groups for small group activities.
Creating Groups with randomly assigned members
- Go to the course homepage.
- Find the Administration block:
- Click Users, then Groups.
- Scroll down and click Create groups randomly.
- Enter a Naming scheme:
- Enter a descriptive text name for your groups, e.g. “Week 1 Discussion Group @”
- You must include either “@” or “#” in your Naming scheme for the variable:
- “Group @” will create groups named Group A, Group B, etc.
- “Group #” will create groups named Group 1, Group 2, etc.
- Set the Auto create based on to Number of groups or Members per group.
- Enter a number for Group/member count.
- If you want to divide your class into five groups, leave Auto create based on as Number of groups, and set this to 5.
- If you want to have groups of five students each, set Auto create based on Members per group, and set this to 5.
- If desired, change options under Group members.
- In particular, you may want to check the Prevent last small group option. For instance, if you request Moodle divide your 26 students into groups of five, Moodle will give you six groups, one of which has only one student. By checking this box, Moodle will give you five groups, one of which has six students.
- Under Grouping, enter a Grouping name to describe this bunch of Groups as a whole.
- Example: “Discussion Groups for Week 1”
- If you do not wish to create a Grouping associated with these new Groups, select No Grouping under Grouping of auto-created groups.
- For more information on Groupings, see Create a Grouping to Manage Course Groups.
- Click Preview and scroll down to review the results. If you see students that should be moved out of a group and into another you can:
- Click Cancel and recreate new random groups, or
- Click Submit and create the present groups. Then follow the instruction to Add or Remove Students from a Group.
- When you are done, return to your course homepage.