You are here
Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Create Group Assignments
Applies to: Moodle 2.8, 3.0, 3.2
Assignments in Moodle can be set up to allow groups of students to collaborate on a single assignment. In Group assignments:
- One member of the group submits the file or writes the initial text of the assignment.
- Other students in the group can download the file, modify it, re-upload it, or edit text online.
- The instructor may choose to configure an assignment so that it requires all members of the group to "sign-off" on it. In such a case, each group member will have to click the Submit assignment button before the assignment is considered fully submitted.
The instructor can give every student the same grade and feedback or can choose to give individual grades and feedback. See Grade a Group Assignment.
Note: If a student is a member of more than one group (for instance, when a site has multiple sets of groups for different activities) the instructor must use a Grouping in the Group submissions settings area. If the instructor does not, a submission from that student will go into the default group for the full class -- in other words, that one student will submit an assignment for every student in the class.
Creating a Group Assignment
- If you have not already done so, create Groups at the course level.
- See Methods of Creating Groups for options.
- The same Groups can be applied to multiple activities.
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource in the section where you want to add the Assignment.
- Select Assignment and click Add.
- Enter an Assignment name and Description.
- Scroll down and click Group submission settings:
- Under Students submit in groups choose Yes.
- If desired, under Require group to make submission choose Yes.
- This requires one student in the group to click the Submit assignment button before the assignment can be graded.
- If desired, also under Require all group members submit choose Yes.
- This requires all students in the group to click the Submit assignment button before the assignment can be graded.
- One student can still upload a file or type text for the entire group, but all students will need to click the Submit assignment button before it is actually submitted.
- If you are using Multiple Different Small Group Activities in One Course Site, you will need to choose the appropriate Grouping for student groups.
- Scroll down and click Common module settings:
- Under Group mode choose Separate groups.
- If you are using a Grouping for the assignment, choose the appropriate Grouping.
- Set any additional assignment options. For other Assignment options, see Assignment Settings
- Scroll down and click Save and return to course.
- Click Turn editing off.
Note on Common module settings:
- It is not strictly necessary to set the Common module settings for group assignments to work. However, setting Common module settings makes grading group assignments much easier.
- Visible groups do not actually work for Assignments, because Assignments are never viewable by other students -- for individual assignments, students can only view their own assignment, for group assignments, students can only view their own group assignment, no matter the Common module settings.