You are here
Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Create a Chat
Applies to: Moodle 2.8, 3.0, 3.2
Moodle Chat allows students and instructors to have a real-time conversation in a Moodle course site. An instructor or designer has to create a chat before students can participate in one.
Chat behavior in Moodle may vary because of participants’ browser settings and internet connection. Because of these variables, it is not recommended to use the chat tool for groups of more than 20 concurrent users.
Creating a Chat
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource in the section where you want to add the Chat.
- Select Chat and click Add.
- Enter a name and description into the form.
- If you wish to set a date and time to be shown to students, expand Chat Sessions:
- Enter the date and time into the Next Chat Time fields.
- Set Repeat Chat Sessions to publish the specified time only.
Note: This does not prevent students from accessing the chat at any other time. You may hide the chat completely by selecting the Hide option in chat settings, or clicking the hide icon on the course homepage.
- Set the length of time to save chat sessions with the Save Past Sessions drop-down menu. If you wish to allow students to view previous chat sessions, make sure Everyone Can View Past Sessions is set to Yes.
- Click the Save and return to course button.
Participating in a Chat
- Click the Chat link from the course homepage that you want to participate in.
- Read the description.
- Click on the corresponding link to start the chat.
Reviewing Past Chat Sessions
Note: This feature is available to instructors and designers only unless the instructor has selected to allow students to review past chat sessions.
- Click the Chat link on the course homepage to navigate to the chat’s main page.
- Click the View Past Chat Sessions link.
- Select the Chat session you wish to review and click the session link.