You are here
Moodle 3.0, 3.2: Add or Remove Students from a Group
Applies to: Moodle 2.8, 3.0, 3.2.
When Moodle Groups are used in a course site for small group work or to divide the course into sections, sometimes those Groups need to be manually modified.
Adding or removing students from a Group
- Go to the course homepage.
- Find the Administration block:
- Click Users, then Groups.
- Click the group you wish to modify in the Groups list on the left.
- Click Add/remove users below the Members of list on the right.
- To Add a student:
- Select a student in the Potential members list on the right by clicking on their name. To select multiple students at once, hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Commannd (Mac) while you click each name.
- Click Add to move the student(s) to the Group members list on the left.
Note: Students can be added to more than one group. There is no warning if you add a student to a second group. However, each student name in the Potential members list is followed by the number of groups they are in, e.g., (1).
- To Remove a student:
- Select a student in the Group members list on the left.
- Click Remove to move the user to the Potential members list.
- Click Back to groups at the bottom of the page when you are done.
Notes: Do not add Instructors to groups. Instructors can browse and participate in any group they wish at any time. Adding an Instructor to a group may limit their view.
Adding a Teaching Assistant to a group can make it easier for that Teaching Assistant to interact with that specific group (for instance, if Groups are used for course sections). However, it will not limit the Teaching Assistant from seeing the work of other course groups, including their grades.
The Potential members list populates from the list of enrolled course participants. If a person is enrolled in the course, the person will be in Potential members list.