Moodle 2.8, 3.0: Add a Forum+
Applies to: Moodle 2.8, 3.0.
In Moodle 2.8 and 3.0, there are two Forum activities to use for discussions, the basic Forums and Forum+ (beta) .
Forum+ should be used when you want any of the following:
- anonymous posting
- private replies
- compile and export postings
Warning: In future versions of Moodle, we expect these features will be integrated into the regular Forum tool, and Forum+ (beta) will most likely go away. Forums created with the Forum+ (beta) tool might not be migrated to new course sites. You may have to manually recreate any forums created with this tool in future versions of Moodle.
Adding a Forum+
- Go to the course homepage and click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource in the section where you want to add the Forum+.
- Select Forum+ and click Add.
- In the Forum name text box, enter the name of the forum.
- In the Forum Description text box enter a description and instructions for the activity.
- For Forum type, choose one of the following:
- Single simple discussion –The instructor can create only one discussion. This keeps the conversation focused on one topic. Users are allowed to post replies but cannot start new discussion topics.
- Each person posts one discussion – Each person in class can start only one discussion. This forum type can be useful if each student needs to post one question or choose only one topic from a reading. Each discussion can have multiple replies.
- Q and A Forum – Use to present a question and answer format that requires students to post their answers before viewing other student postings. Once a student sends a post, they must wait 15 minutes (the allotted time to edit their own post) before viewing and responding to other posts.
- Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format - Anyone can start a new discussion at any time. Discussion topics are displayed on one page with a snippet of the discussion included.
- Standard forum for general use – Anyone can start a new discussion at any time. Each discussion is on a separate page.
- Select and complete additional options. See Commonly Used Settings below.
- Click Save and display.
Commonly Used Settings for Forum+
Click the Help icon next to each option in Moodle for more information.
- Display recent posts on course page: This will display up to six recent posts on the course page, directly underneath the link to the Forum+.
- Post options:
- Enable anonymous posting - The author's name for each post will not be visible to anyone in a course site, even instructors and designers.
- Allow private replies - Instructors can post a private reply to a forum post. This reply is only viewable by the student that made the original post or reply.
- For other commonly used settings, see Add a Forum
Compile and Export Forum+ Posts