Jointly Managed Server Hosting
Request Professional-managed Linux servers that comes with additional administrative privilege to allow for automated application deployments.
The core principle behind the service is that automation is used across all layers of the application stack. Hosting Services deploys and manages several key component using Chef; the customer deploys the application using the tool of their choice. These systems would be treated as stateless; that is, they hold no mutable data of value. Data can be stored in one of our Enterprise Storage Services, on a separate Fully Managed Server, or in our Database Hosting Service.
This service assumes that the user has a high level of technical knowledge and experience with automation tools.
Hours of Support
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday
- Customers may request that support be made available off hours upon a review and approval of a specific business requirement. Contact the Service Owner for Hosting Services at least one week prior to initiate the request.
Hosting Services provides 24x7 on-call support for business critical emergencies from the pre-defined set of authorized requestors.
The request must be initiated by calling 1-HELP.
To streamline the escalation, please provide the following information.
- Indicate that the Linux Platform team needs to be contacted
- The system name and IP address
- The FQDN or URL of the system
- Your contact information
- The primary responsibility of system troubleshooting falls on the customer.
- Hosting Services’ responsibility for troubleshooting stops at the managed operating system and all managed configuration items.
- The customer is responsible for all application level troubleshooting.
- OIT will monitor the availability of the server environment and be notified once it has been unavailable for 15 minutes.
- OIT will monitor the disk utilization and will notify the customer when the disk is 90% full.
- The customer will be responsible for monitoring the availability of the application.
- OIT will review security scanning reports weekly and notify customer of level 4 and 5 security vulnerabilities
- All system level logs are monitored via Splunk
- Monitoring for system update failures (dependencies) - OIT will notify customers of failure and will have two weeks to respond before the systems is taken offline.
Data Protection/System Recovery
System level backups are not available with this service offering. The configuration of the systems should be completely automated and the expected recovery path is as follows:
- Customer requests new VM or references previous Service-Now request to build the system.
- OIT provisions the system within 2 business hours (8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday)
- Customer redeploys application using their own automation toolset.