Google Video Calls (Hangouts): Troubleshooting Audio and Video
This article deals with audio and video issues on computers. Note that Google Hangouts still have some issues with Firefox browsers; for best results, use a Chrome browser.
In this article:
- Checking the Connections
- Checking the video call settings
- Checking audio settings in Windows
- Checking audio settings on a Mac
- Additional Information
- Make sure all your devices are securely connected, and turned on.
- Some microphones have mute buttons, including some headsets - make sure your microphone is not muted.
- In the Video Call window, move your mouse until you see the control icons at the top of the screen.
- Click the gear icon.
- Choose specific options for the camera, microphone, and headset or speakers) - not "Default device."
- If you are using a USB headset with microphone, you should see an option such as "USB Headset" for microphone and speakers.
- If your only options are "Default device", close out of the Hangout and completely out of the browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc), check that your devices are connected properly, and then restart the browser and re-enter the hangout.
Changing any of these settings may require you to restart your browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc).
The details here can vary with different versions of Windows, so if your computer doesn’t say exactly the same thing, look for something similar.
- Right-click the volume control (speaker icon) on the lower right in your taskbar. This opens the Sound dialog box.
- On the Playback tab:
- select the appropriate device (here I’m using my Logitech USB headset)
- click Set Default at the bottom. You should get a green check mark on the device once you’ve set it as default.
- Repeat step 2 on the Recording tab.
- Click OK.
- Re-enter your video call.
Note: you may need to reset this every time you plug in your headset.
- Click the Apple in the upper left of your computer.
- Click System Preferences...
- Choose Sound.
- On the Input tab:
- Select the correct microphone. This example is using a Logitech USB Headset.
- NOTE: Only USB microphones will work with a Macintosh computer. Microphones on earbuds or headsets that connect to the stereo mini port will not work.
- Check that the Input volume is set correctly (it should not be all the way to the left).
- On the Output tab:
- Select the correct headset or speaker.
- Close out of System Preferences and re-enter your video call.
Troubleshoot audio/video issues with video calls (Google's troubleshooting guide)