Google Calendar Overview
Google Calendar is the official University calendaring system.
Set meeting reminders
- Open the meeting
- Under Reminders, choose the type of reminder you want (pop-up or email message) and when you want to receive it.
- To add more reminders, click Add a reminder.
- Remember to click the Save button.
- Open Google Calendar
- In the My calendars section, click the down arrow that appears when you hover over your calendar, and select Reminders and notifications from the drop-down.
- In the Event reminders section, select either Email or Pop-up from the drop-down
- Enter the corresponding reminder time (between one minute and four weeks.)
- Optionally, click Add reminder to create a new reminder, or remove to delete an existing reminder.
- Click Save.
Set up recurring events
- Go to the event details page.
- Check the box to the left of Repeat.
- In the Repeat pop-up, select an option from the Repeats drop-down.
- Depending on your selection from the Repeats drop-down, further define how the meeting recurs, including specifying start and end dates (if applicable).
- Finish creating your meeting as usual.
Edit your calendar’s privacy and sharing settings
By Default, your "free/busy" calendar information is shared with everyone in your domain. You can share additional information with everyone or just specific people, or stop sharing all calendar information.
- Open Google Calendar.
- In the My calendars section, click the down arrow that appears when you hover over your calendar, and then select Share this calendar.
- Select the sharing options you want for your calendar.
By default your "free/busy" calendar information is shared with everyone at the University. You have the option to change this so that everyone at the University can see all event details, no one can see anything (uncheck share this calendar with others), or make the entire calendar public (check make this calendar public)
You can also change the sharing settings for specific people. Under the Share with specific people section, enter the email address of the person you want to share your calendar with, select the appropriate permission setting, and click Add person.
- Once you have finished setting your Calendars sharing settings, remember to click Save.
Changing calendar owner
- Share a calendar with a new owner
- Select "Make changes and manage sharing" in permission level to effectively extend administrative abilities to the new owner
- Note: While the new owner will have access to edit and make changes to the calendar, if the previous owner is deleted the calendar will also be deleted. If previous owner must be deleted, export the calendar's events and import them into the new calendar
- It might be worth creating a departmental account for calendars that are shared with the entire departments use
For more information about using Google Calendar please see https://support.google.com/calendar/?hl=en#topic=3417969
For more information about Google Calendar at the University of Minnesota please see http://www.oit.umn.edu/google/using-google-calendar/