You are here
Google Calendar Overview
Organize your life with the help of Google Calendar. You can schedule your social and academic life, create personal calendars, share calendars with others, and invite friends to events.
NOTE: Google Calendar is the official University calendaring system.
This article will help you complete the following:
How to log in and view your calendar.
Schedule a meeting and Invite guests.
Book a room or resource for your meeting.
Set meeting reminders.
Set up recurring events.
Add an attachment or Google Hangout to a meeting.
Create a new calendar.
Edit your calendar’s privacy and sharing settings.
View another user’s calendar.
Knowledge Articles for beginners:
KB0015053 - How to Access University Google Calendar
KB0015055 - Google Calendar View Configuration
KB0015060 - Create a New Calendar in Google Calendar
KB0015056 - View Another User's Google Calendar
KB0015076 - Scheduling a meeting, and inviting guests in Google Calendar
KB0015083 - Book a room or other resource for your meeting in Google Calendar
Set meeting reminders
- Open the meeting
- Under Reminders, choose the type of reminder you want (pop-up or email message) and when you want to receive it.
- To add more reminders, click Add a reminder.
- Remember to click the Save button.
- Open Google Calendar
- In the My calendars section, click the down arrow that appears when you hover over your calendar, and select Reminders and notifications from the drop-down.
- In the Event reminders section, select either Email or Pop-up from the drop-down
- Enter the corresponding reminder time (between one minute and four weeks.)
- Optionally, click Add reminder to create a new reminder, or remove to delete an existing reminder.
- Click Save.
Set up recurring events
- Go to the event details page.
- Check the box to the left of Repeat.
- In the Repeat pop-up, select an option from the Repeats drop-down.
- Depending on your selection from the Repeats drop-down, further define how the meeting recurs, including specifying start and end dates (if applicable).
- Finish creating your meeting as usual.
Add a document or Google Hangout to a meeting
To attach a document to a meeting:
- Click on the name of your meeting to open the event details page.
- In the Attachment section, click Add attachment.
- Check the box next to one or more Google Drive files, and click Select. You can also upload files from your computer my clicking Upload and following the prompts to upload files from your computer.
- After you've attached all of your files, remember to click the Save button.
- Open event details page of your meeting.
- In the Video call section, click on Add video call.
- Click the Save button.
Edit your calendar’s privacy and sharing settings
By Default, your "free/busy" calendar information is shared with everyone in your domain. You can share additional information with everyone or just specific people, or stop sharing all calendar information.
- Open Google Calendar.
- In the My calendars section, click the down arrow that appears when you hover over your calendar, and then select Share this calendar.
- Select the sharing options you want for your calendar.
By default your "free/busy" calendar information is shared with everyone at the University. You have the option to change this so that everyone at the University can see all event details, no one can see anything (uncheck share this calendar with others), or make the entire calendar public (check make this calendar public)
You can also change the sharing settings for specific people. Under the Share with specific people section, enter the email address of the person you want to share your calendar with, select the appropriate permission setting, and click Add person.
- Once you have finished setting your Calendars sharing settings, remember to click Save.
For more information about using Google Calendar please see https://support.google.com/calendar/?hl=en#topic=3417969
For more information about Google Calendar at the University of Minnesota please see http://www.oit.umn.edu/google/using-google-calendar/