- Email forwarding is available to:
- Current Students and Staff who are NOT in the Academic Health Center or other Department or School that handles sensitive data
- Retired Staff and Graduated Students
- Retired Staff and Graduated Students must check their gmail account via a web browser every 90 days to keep the forwarding active
- Email forwarding is not available to:
- Former Staff
- Former Students
- Anyone in a Sensitive Data Unit or Program (AHC, HR, Athletic Medicine)
Forwarding to a single email account
- Browse to mail.umn.edu and sign in.
- Click the Gear icon in the upper right and select Settings.
- Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Click on Add a forwarding address.
- Follow the instructions and click Save.
Forwarding to multiple addresses
The Gmail forwarding option only allows forwarding to one address. The way around this restriction is to use email filters. Note: You can create more than 20 filters, but only 20 of the filters can be used to forward emails.
- Add the emails to Gmail so they can be used as forwarding addresses in a filter.
- Browse to mail.umn.edu and sign in to the account you will be forwarding from
- Click on the Gear icon in the upper right corner, and choose Settings
- Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP
- Click on Add a forwarding address. Enter one of the email addresses, click Next and click Proceed.
- Leave forwarding disabled. You cannot forward to multiple email addresses using that option.
- Keep using the "Add a forwarding address" button to add each of the other addresses.
- Create multiple email filters, one for each address:
- Click on Filters
- Click on Create a new filter
- In the TO: field, enter the email address of this account.
- Now you can click on Create filter with this search in the lower right corner.
- Select Skip the Inbox (archive it) box.
- Select the Forward It To: box, and then choose one of the email addresses from the list.
- Click the blue Create filter button.
- Repeat steps 1 - 7 for each of the other email addresses.
- Note: If you need to forward emails to more than a couple addresses, you might consider using a Google Group. Google will block your email if there are too many added.
As of January 15, 2018, Google+ notifications will only be sent to the primary email address of University G Suite users, and users will no longer receive notifications at any other email address.
Your Google+ settings are currently configured to send notifications to an email address other than your primary G Suite email address (email@example.com). For example, you may have opted to receive all Google+ notifications for your G Suite account at a personal email account. The ability to set such an alternate email address for notifications was available in Google+ prior to September 2016.