Enterprise CRM: Create a Task
What Are Tasks?
Tasks are like a to-do list within CRM. They can be used to assign yourself or other Users to call, email, or meet with Contacts or Organizations that can show up on your Home Tab. They can also be used to record notes or results of a particular interaction once they occur.
Prior to creating a Task you may want to check with your internal business processes to ensure that you are using them in the way that your business unit is intending for them to be used.
What Are My Privacy Options?
This will depend what Object/record type you are on. To get more information review Understand Privacy Settings.
Creating a Task
Note: Depending on the Object/record you are creating the Task from, some of these fields may already be filled in with information. (i.e. creating from an Opportunity will fill in Related To section)
- Navigate to the record you'd like to create a Task for.
- Once on the desired record find the Open Activities section (available at the top of the page or in a list of available items) to get to the New Task button. This brings up the New Task screen.
- On the New Task screen fields can be manipulated as needed. How you manipulate these fields will likely be determined by internal business processes.
- Assigned To will default to you as the User but if needed the Lookup icon can be used to assign the Task to a different User.
- The Subject field will likely be determined by internal business processes and should be something descriptive or useful to the User the Task is being assigned to or another User that may be viewing the record.
- Due Date will default to empty but can be manipulated as needed and will automatically affect the Reminder field below (which can then still be updated as needed).
- Comments are where you will be putting the descriptive information that the Task is being created for and may be determined by internal business processes. Something useful to someone consuming the information should be put within this box.
- The Related To field is important if you are trying to make a Task public or private.
- Putting any record type that is private (Asset, Case, Contract, List/Campaign, Opportunity, Product, Reserved Contact Data, or Reserved Organization Data) will default the Task to being private.
- The only two record types that can be associated here and retain the Task as public are Organization and Solution.
- This field can be left blank but if needed select the appropriate record type from the dropdown and use the Lookup icon to search for the correct record to associate with the Task.
- The Name field allows you to associate a Contact or Lead record with the Task.
- Related Case allows you to use the Lookup icon to associate a Case with the Task as needed.
- Type should be set according to internal business practices.
- Direction should be set according to internal business practices.
- Status should be set according to internal business practices.
- Priority should be set according to internal business practices.
- Phone and Email will be pulled from the Contact record and cannot be manipulated here.
- If the task should be recurring the Create Recurring Series of Tasks checkbox being checked off will bring up options for selecting recurrence and date ranges.
- Reminder will be pre-populated based on selections in the Due Date and Recurrence areas but can be manipulated here as needed.
- If there are any supporting documents or other necessary attachments the Attach File button can be clicked in the Attachments section at the bottom of the screen.
- Fill in all desired fields for the Task and if you would like to add another Task for this Contact record click on Save & New Task at the top or bottom of the screen.
- Fill in all desired fields for the Task and if you are done adding Tasks to the current Contact click on Save to be brought back to the Contact record.