Enterprise CRM: Create an Event from a Lead record
What Are Events?
Events allow you to add information related to CRM records while designating a specific time period. They can be used for meetings, conference calls, visitations, job fairs, or anything else that may be occurring that needs to be associated with a specific record or blocked off on a calendar.
Prior to creating an Event you may want to check with your internal business processes to ensure that you are using them in the way that your business unit is intending for them to be used.
What Are My Privacy Options?
Leads are a record type that is private to your business unit. Any Event created from a Lead will automatically be private.
Navigate to the Lead record (if needed)
- If you have enough information to find the Lead you may want to use the Global Search bar.
- If you do not have enough information to search or are working from a specific List View click on the Leads Tab from your homepage if showing in your default tabs or click on the All Tabs (+) button and selection Leads from the list.
- From Leads Home you can either click on the name of the Lead, if showing in your default View, or select the appropriate selection from the dropdown in the View: Menu and click Go!
- Once the appropriate Lead is visible click on the Lead Name in the list to bring up the Lead record.
Creating an Event
- Once on the Lead record there are two ways to get to creating a New Event:
- At the top of the Lead record hovering over the text for Open Activities brings up a window where the New Event button is able to be clicked.
- Further down on the page underneath the Lead Detail there is an Open Activities section of the page where there is a New Event button that is able to the clicked.
- Once on the New Event screen fields can be manipulated as needed. How you manipulate these fields will likely be determined by internal business processes.
- Assigned To will default to you as the User but if needed the Lookup icon can be used to assign the Event to a different User.
- The Subject field will likely be determined by internal business processes and should be something descriptive or useful to the User the Event is being assigned to or another User that may be viewing the record.
- The All-Day Event checkbox allows you designate the Event as all-day on any associated calendars. This will also affect the Reminder field below (which can then still be updated as needed).
- Start and End allow you to designate the time period during which the event will take place and will automatically update the Reminder field below (which can then still be updated as needed).
- The Related To field cannot be used when creating an Event from a Lead.
- The Name field will default to the Lead that the Event is being created from.
- Clicking on Add to Invitees here will add the Appointment to the Lead's Salesforce Calendar and changes the Save button to Save & Send Update. This will email the Lead an invite to the Appointment once this button is clicked and the Subject, Description, and Location information are included in this email communication.
- As most Leads will not have access to their CRM Calendar note that it does give the option to save to their own calendar outside of CRM with appropriate Start and End or All-Day Appointment information.
- Related Case allows you to use the Lookup icon to associate a Case with the Event as needed.
- The Type dropdown allows you to select an appropriate type per your internal business practices as needed.
- The Private checkbox cannot be used in this instance as there is already a record other than your own associated with the Event.
- The Category dropdown allows you to select an appropriate type per your internal business practices as needed.
- Location allows you to enter a location that will show as the Where for any Users or Leads getting emails about the Event.
- The Show Time As dropdown allows you to designate how you would like the Event to appear on your own Salesforce calendar.
- Phone and Email cannot be manipulated here and will pull from any associated Primary Lead record if applicable.
- Description is where you will be putting information about the Event that you want to communicate to Leads and/or other Users that are either invited to the Event or viewing the Lead record.
- Note that if you have invited any Leads or Users this will also get pulled into any emails generated by the Event.
- Reminder will be pre-populated based on selections in the All-Day Event, Start, and End areas but can be manipulated here as needed.
- If there are any supporting documents or other necessary attachments the Attach File button can be clicked in the Attachments section at the bottom of the screen.
- Fill in all desired fields for the Event and based on the selections made you may be seeing different buttons:
- If you have clicked on Add to Invitees to invite any Leads or Users to the Event you will want to click Save & Send Update to save the Event and send any relevant email invites.
- If you have not invited any Leads or Users you can click on Save to be brought back to the Lead record.