Duo: Use Remember Me
Duo’s "Remember Me" feature saves you time while keeping your information safe. It is like the "remember my computer" or "keep me logged in" options you may have seen on other websites.
It should only be used with a device you own or that is assigned only to you. Never use the feature on public or shared devices.
Choose "Remember Me For 7 Days"
After you sign in to the UMN Sign-In screen, you will see the Duo authentication screen.
- Before choosing your authentication method, check the box next to Remember me for 7 days.
- Choose an authentication method (one of the green buttons). If you're using the recommended Duo Mobile app, you'll select Send me a Push.
- Verify your identity with your Duo-enrolled device or a passcode.
You won’t need to verify your identity with Duo again for the next seven days.
How It Works
When you check Remember me for 7 days, your browser is what does the “remembering.” This means that Remember me for 7 days will not work if you
- Switch browsers
- Use a private or Incognito window in your browser
- Use a different computer
- Clear your browser’s cookies
For example, suppose you checked Remember me for 7 days yesterday when you were using Firefox. When logging in today, you decide to use Internet Explorer. Because you switched browsers, you’ll be asked to verify your identity with Duo again.
Note: If you choose to use the “remember me” function, you will still be required to sign in to the UMN Sign-In page at the same intervals as you do today. However, you will only be asked to verify with Duo every seven days.
Cancel “Remember Me For 7 Days”
If you want to cancel the Remember Me for 7 Days feature, clear the browser's cookies and cache. When you restart your browser you’ll see that it no longer “remembers” your Duo credentials.
Doesn't Remember Me for 7 Days Defeat the Purpose of Duo Security?