Drupal: Embed a Streaming Video on a Page
The following instructions are for websites using the default UMN Drupal configuration.
Drupal is highly customizable, and your site may have different steps for completing the task. Additionally, your role in Drupal may not have the proper permissions to complete the task. Contact your site administrator for additional information.
You should upload videos to a streaming video service (such as YouTube) before embedding video into your Drupal site. The Drupal service is not intended to host video directly. Your videos will perform better when hosted on a streaming video service.
The UMN Drupal service supports streaming videos from YouTube by default.
- Click Menu in the Administrator toolbar.
- Click Content in the Menu toolbar.
- Use filters, if desired, at the top of the Content page to locate the page you want to edit by entering Title, Type, Author, Published status (Yes or No), or Vocabulary and clicking Apply.
- Click the page title link in the Title column for the page you want to edit.
- Click the Edit Draft tab.
- Place your cursor in the content field where you want the video to display.
- Click the Add Media icon in the HTML Editor toolbar.
- Click the Web tab.
- Enter the URL or embed code for the video you want to display in the Enter an image URL or an embed code field.
- Click Submit.
- Select your desired display option from the Display as drop-down menu.
- Click Submit. You should now see the video added to the field where you placed the cursor.
- Click Publishing Options in the bottom left corner.
- Choose the publishing state from the Choose an action drop-down menu (required).
- Draft: This state keeps the page private. You can keep working on the page without having the public see it.
- Needs Review: This state keeps the page private, but flags the page as ready for editing.
- Published: This state makes the page public. Publishing a page will also make it viewable in any menus or automatic lists (aka views) that might reference the page.
- Enter a message to state your changes in the Log message for this state change field.
- Check the Create new revision checkbox.
Note: This checkbox should automatically be checked. If it isn’t, check it.
- Click Save. You should now see the new video on your site.
- Note: If you chose Draft or Needs Review from the Choose an action dropdown, click View Draft instead.