Downloads and Guides: Advanced Instructions for L2TP Native VPN for Windows XP
The ability to view or read logs or events is essential to being able to solve problems that require technical details. The features needed are the ability to filter logs by severity, and⁄or by process. Until you get a handle on a problem, where the exact event describes the error you are encountering, the logs that come out at an "Informational" severity can be distract from the troubleshooting effort. Similarly, if you are looking at a problem that has defined processes, each process that is required should be added to a filter, where all events are excluded except for the named processes. Each event, if viewed in context, will show the “chat” of expected events for a process, as well as the exceptions or errors in the process. Historically, the process to view or read logs has been difficult to understand or execute.
With Windows 7, the process is easier because the Event Viewer GUI (graphical user interface) now has custom filters. Under Windows XP, the methods are similar, but are cumbersome.
Export information from the client that will help you locate and isolate the problem.
- Navigate through the Control Panel to get to the Event Viewer. Bring up the path: Run > Settings > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.
- Click the Event log pull-down menu and select Application, Security, or System. In some cases you will have vendor-provided views, such as Internet Explorer or Cisco VPN Client or Cisco AnyConnect. You can also create a view: Click the Action menu and select New Log View. Rename the view using normal file name editing techniques.
- Click the Action menu and select Properties. Then select the Filter tab.
- Click the Event Type (event severity) menu and select Informational, Warning, or Error.
- Select the Event Source: DHCP - Dhcp, or VPN - vpnagent, vpnapi, vpnui.
- Select the Category: Network.
- Repeat step 5, and apply without Informational events and Audit events so that the Event Viewer displays only the events that appear they will help you solve the problem you are experiencing.