A freeze or cautionary period is instituted to prohibit or limit system updates which may have an adverse affect on a business community. These schedules aid in mitigating the risk of an outage or issues during important business cycles (e.g. student class registration), but also permits technology units to schedule resources to get important system work done during non-freeze periods.
Note that this schedule has been created directly from input by the business community - if you feel your area and business processes have not been included or are inaccurately represented, please contact Change Process Owner, Nick Lintgen.
Ultimately, the goal of all parties is to reduce risk to users by performing system maintenance during times which have the lowest risk to a business segment in the unlikely event that something were to go wrong with the update.
Change Freeze Calendar
Be sure to take these periods into consideration when planning changes.
- Change Freeze Calendar PDF
- Change Freeze Calendar with Business Events PDF
- Business Events Calendar PDF
- Change Freeze Google Calendar (View along with other calendars, adds to your Google Calendar list)
- Change Freeze Google Calendar (View this calendar alone, does not add to your Google Calendar list)
If the calendar is not displayed above, sign-in to U of M Google Calendar and reload this page.
- Prohibit all changes to systems.
- Goal of maintaining the ultimate in system stability.
- There is a "NO GO" assumption for changes within the scope of the Freeze period - one must justify need if an emergency change is necessary.
- Exception Criteria: changes must be approved by any potentially affected business units as well as relevant Senior Directors and VP/CIO.
- Some changes are acceptable depending on the change/update and business process.
- Goal of accepting some risk while maintaining high system stability.
- There is a "GO" assumption for changes unrelated to the reason for the Caution period, but one must still review with CAB for confirmation.
- Note: may change to "NO GO" depending on systems stability leading into the Caution period.
- Exception Criteria: changes must be approved by any potentially affected business units.
- All changes are acceptable, assuming UMN change management processes are being followed.
- Goal of allowing the highest level of change available while maintaining system stability.
- There is a "GO" assumption for changes, assuming UMN change management processes are being followed.