Canvas: Send Final Grades from Canvas to PeopleSoft
There are 4 required steps to getting final grades out of Canvas and into PeopleSoft Faculty Center. This article covers each of the steps in order.
- Applying a grading scheme
- Checking for muted assignments and empty grades
- Downloading the CSV file(s) from your Canvas course
- Uploading the CSV files(s) into PeopleSoft
Note: Grades of ‘I’, ‘K’, or ‘X’, are not calculated grades and cannot be generated by the Canvas Gradebook. These can be entered manually in PeopleSoft/Faculty Center or by editing the Export Final Grades for Upload file before uploading it to PeopleSoft/Faculty Center.
Note: Users with a Proxy role in a class in PeopleSoft are not auto-enrolled into Canvas. If a Proxy with grading access in PeopleSoft needs access to a Canvas course, they must be manually enrolled by a teacher or other authorized user using the +People button on the People page in the Canvas course.
Applying a Grading Scheme
For most courses, you will want to select University of Minnesota Letter Grade Scheme which is the approved undergraduate grading scheme for the University. An S-N Grade Scheme is also available or you can create and apply your own scheme.
- For step-by-step instructions see Apply a Grading Scheme.
Checking for Muted Assignments and Empty Grades
Before running a final grade report, you need to make sure that your Gradebook is calculating all assignments in the course totals correctly.
- Muted assignments (assignments set to muted state for grading student work) will not be calculated in the final grades. Follow How do I mute or unmute an assignment in the Gradebook? To make sure no assignments are muted.
- Make sure that all empty grades have been filled in with a zero. Follow Entering Scores for Missed Activities or Excusing Activities.
Downloading the CSV File from Canvas
- Click on Export Final Grades for Upload button on the left navigation.
- Select the settings you need at the top of the page:
- Choose which sections’ grades to export is important for course sites that have more than one section in them. Choose Yes to download all sections which will produce a CSV file for each section roster within a zipped file. You will need to unzip the file and upload each sections CSV one at a time into PeopleSoft.
- Include first and last name? is necessary only if you wish to double check the downloaded report. If you chose to download the CSV file with the first and last names, you will need to delete those two columns before uploading the file to PeopleSoft.
- Click Export Grades.
The CSV file should download from the Gradebook to your computer.
- If you chose YES for downloading all sections, or you choose more than one section within a course site with multiple sections to download, you will get a zipped file. Unzip the file and note that you must upload each CSV file separately into PeopleSoft for each graded section.
- If the downloaded files do not show any grades, you likely did not set a grading scheme for your course. Follow the instructions in Setting a Grading Scheme and repeat the downloading process.
- If you chose YES for downloading the file to include students first and last name, you will need to delete these two columns in the file BEFORE uploading the file to PeopleSoft.
- For any other issues downloading the CSV file(s), contact Technology Help (firstname.lastname@example.org; 612-301-4357).
Uploading the CSV file(s) to PeopleSoft
- Find the downloaded CSV file(s) from your desktop.
- Follow the instructions on How to upload grades to PeopleSoft from a spreadsheet.
If you have any problems uploading the CSV files into PeopleSoft, contact Academic Support Resources (ASR) email@example.com or call 612-625-2803.