Canvas: Manually Enroll Students to Resolve Incompletes Using a Make-up Section
If you have students who need to resolve an incomplete after a course has concluded, you can create a special make-up section and manually enroll them in that section. You will then include only those activities students need to submit to complete the class.
Setting up such an enrollment involves three steps:
- Creating a make-up section and setting required date parameters
- Enrolling student(s)
- Assigning an activity to the make-up section
Creating a make-up section and setting required date parameters
When you create a make-up section for students, you will need to set custom start and end dates.
To create a make-up section:
- Follow the steps in Add a section to a course as an instructor.
- Edit the details for a course section as an instructor. When you update the section:
- Specify concrete start and end dates (1 and 2 in the image below).
- Check Users can only participate in the course between these dates (3).
- Click Update Section (4).
Once you have created a make-up section and configured the date parameters, you need to associate the necessary student(s).
Between January 01, 2018 and August 14, 2018
With current instructor permissions,
- Click People in the course navigation menu.
- Identify the student(s) who needs to resolve the incomplete.
- Click the Options icon (1) associated with their user record.
- Select Edit Sections (2) from the drop-down menu.
The Section Enrollments modal for that student appears.
- Click browse (1).
- Select the desired section (2).
- Click Update (3).
The student is now enrolled in the make-up section.
- Repeat the process for any other students who need to resolve incompletes.
When you are done enrolling students, go to Assigning an activity to the make-up section to assign the work students must submit to complete the class.
After August 15, 2018
Starting on August 15, 2018, instructors will no longer be able to manually enroll students in Canvas sections using the People list options. A toolkit is being developed for release by August 15, 2018 that will allow instructors to manually enroll users who are already enrolled in a section of their course into a manually created section. For more information, see Adding Students to Canvas Course Sites.
- Teachers in non-PeopleSoft course sites will still be able to manually enroll users.
Assigning an activity to the make-up section
Now that you have created a section with revised participation date parameters and have enrolled users in it, you need to assign the work student(s) need to do to resolve the incomplete.
- Click Assignments in your class site’s navigation bar.
- Click the assignment you wish to assign to the make-up section.
The assignment opens.
- Click Edit to open up the configuration for that activity.
- Scroll down to the Assign pane.
- Click the +Add button.
- Click in the new Assign to field and select your make-up section.
- Set the Due, Available from, and Available until dates as desired.
- Click Save.
- Repeat the process as necessary to associate all required work with your make-up section.
When you are done, students in the make-up section will have access to the activities they need to wrap-up the class. The class will appear as read-only for all other students.
If you encounter any issues with this procedure, click Help in the Global Navigation menu to contact the support team or submit a question to email@example.com.