Canvas: Manually Create a Section and Enroll Students
Sections in Canvas help subdivide students within a course and offer section-specific options such as varied due dates for assignments, discussions, and quizzes. For example,
- Provide disability accommodations for a student or group of students (eg, need extra time on assignments).
- Allow students to resolve an incomplete after a course has concluded.
Setting up such an enrollment involves three steps:
- Creating a new section and setting date parameters
- Enrolling student(s)
- Assigning an activity to a section
Creating a new section and setting date parameters
When you create a new section for students, you may need to set custom start and end dates.
To create a new section:
- Follow the steps in Add a section to a course as an instructor.
- Edit the details for a course section as an instructor. When you update the section:
- Specify concrete start and end dates (1 and 2 in the image below).
- Check Users can only participate in the course between these dates (3).
- Click Update Section (4).
Enrolling a Student
Once you have created a new section you need to associate student(s) with that section.
- Send a list of the existing students you want to add to that section to your local Canvas administrator or email@example.com.
In the future, a Course Admin Tools function will allow you to enroll existing students into manually created sections. Details and documentation will be made available when the tool is turned on.
- Note: Manually enrolling students into a new/future course site will still require you to contact your local Canvas administrator or firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of students to add to each section.
Removing a Manually Enrolled Student
The status of manually enrolled students in manually created sections is not updated by the PeopleSoft auto-enrollment process. If a student withdraws or drops the class, the student will have to be manually removed. Email email@example.com.
Once you have created a new section you can enroll or remove users using People in course navigation.
Assigning an activity to the new section
- Click Assignments in your class site’s navigation bar.
- Click the assignment you wish to assign to the new section.
The assignment opens.
- Click Edit to open up the configuration for that activity.
- Scroll down to the Assign pane.
- Click the +Add button.
- Click in the new Assign to field and select your new section.
- Set the Due, Available from, and Available until dates as desired.
- Click Save.
- Repeat the process as necessary to associate all required work with your new section.
When you are done, students in the new section will have access to the activities they need.
If you encounter any issues with this procedure, click Help in the Global Navigation menu to contact the support team or submit a question to firstname.lastname@example.org.