Canvas: Flipgrid Overview
Flipgrid is a cloud-based, video student engagement and assessment tool that integrates with Canvas. This tool allows for students to record, upload, view, react and respond to each other’s short videos. FlipGrid runs inside your web browser, so there is no software to download, install, or update.
Flipgrid was developed at the University of Minnesota in the LT Media Lab.
The Flipgrid Learning Tool is managed through the Edu App Center. This means that it is not set-up in your Canvas course by default, but can be set up in a few steps.
If you have not used Flipgrid before, you will need to create a free Admin Account. Students do not need an account to participate in FlipGrid activities.
Note: You must create a separate Flipgrid integration for each course.
Note: You must have the Teacher role in a course in order to create a Flipgrid assignment.
Creating a Flipgrid Admin Account
- Go to admin.flipgrid.com/signup.
- Choose Sign up and create an account.
Generating a Flipgrid Integration
- Go to admin.flipgrid.com and log in to your account.
- Once logged in, click your account profile in the upper-right.
- Select Integrations from the dropdown menu.
- In Canvas Integration, select + New Integration and enter a name for your integration.
- Copy the Consumer Key and Shared Secret (Safeguard this information as it grants access to you and your students’ content).
Adding Flipgrid in Canvas
- In a Canvas course, go to Settings and click the Apps tab.
- Search for and then select Flipgrid.
- For Flipgrid, click +Add App.
- Enter your Consumer Key and Shared Secret for your integration and then click Add App.
- You should now see Flipgrid listed in your course navigation. Select it to create additional grids and manage your account.
Creating a Flipgrid Assignment
- Go to Assignments and click + Assignment.
- Enter an Assignment Name
- Under Submission Type, select External Tool and then click Find and select your Flipgrid configuration from the dropdown menu.
- Click Select and then Save.
- You will now see your Flipgrid Admin, where you can view and edit your topic.
- Security and Privacy setting Canvas Only should be enabled
- This ensures that only students who have been enrolled in the course have access to the content
- Security and Privacy setting Share Links should be disabled
- This ensures that student submitted videos and content cannot be shared on other platforms
- Instructors must generate a unique Grid for each course using the FlipGrid account admin role and must select a unique Grid for the course
- When first setting up an assignment using the submission type as FlipGrid the instructor has the ability to select which “Grid” the assignment will be a part of. As the FlipGrid Account Admin (instructor role in Flipgrid content management system) the instructor may have student content appear across multiple courses
- Remove “FlipGrid” from the course navigation to ensure that all submissions are available in Speedgrader. This will not remove the tool from assignments.
Flipgrid Support - Submit a ticket