Canvas: Enroll a Test Student
As an instructor or course designer, you will sometimes want to view and test a course site from the student’s perspective. You may want to know:
- Is content visible?
- Is there content that should be hidden from view?
- Does the student experience of content organization and sequencing make sense?
- Are the activities correctly configured?
There are 2 ways you can simulate the student experience:
- Using the built-in Canvas Student View function described in Instructure’s article View a course using a test student. Though handy, there are some things you cannot do.
- Using a guest account that you assign the University of Minnesota’s Test Student role. Viewing a course as a Test Student allows you to simulate the student perspective completely.
The focus of this article is on enrolling a guest account to use as a test student. It covers:
- Benefits of using the UofM test student role
- Creating a Guest account
- Adding a Guest account in the Test Student role
- Using the Test Student Account
Benefits of using the UofM Test Student role
Unlike the Canvas Student View user, the Test Student user can:
- Be assigned to groups
- Click-through from Canvas into external tools such as VoiceThread or publisher content packages such as eTextbooks.
If you already have a guest account, go to Adding a Guest account in the Test Student role. If you don’t, you will need to create one.
Creating a Guest account
- Go to Request Guest Account
- Fill out the form fields.
- Email Address: Enter an active email address; it cannot be a University email address.
- Click Submit. An email message about your Guest Account is sent to the email address you specified in the form.
- Your full email address will be used as your University Internet ID.
- Your password is the one you set when you filled out the request form.
Adding a Guest account in the Test Student role
PeopleSoft-related course instructors (and some Category Support administrators) have the necessary permissions to manually enroll users in their PeopleSoft course sites.
- All non-PeopleSoft course site instructors can manually enroll users.
- Select People in the Course Navigation menu.
- Click +People button. The Add People window opens.
- Choose the Add user(s) by Email Address method.
- Type in your guest email address.
- Go to the Role drop-down menu and choose Test Student. Users added in this role will be labeled in the People list as Test Student rather than Student.
- Click Next.
- Click Add Users. Your guest account will appear as pending in the People list.
For more information, see Adding Students to Canvas Course Sites.
Using the Test Student account
- Log into canvas.umn.edu using your guest account.
- Accept the course invitation.
- View and test your site.