Canvas: Add Proctorio to a Quiz
This article assumes that you have already created a quiz that you would like to add Proctorio remote proctoring to. If you have not created a quiz yet you can review information from Canvas on quizzes.
You must be using the Google Chrome Browser and have the Proctorio Plugin installed in order to follow the directions below.
Adding Proctorio into Navigation
You must use the Google Chrome browser to work with Proctorio, and each course must have Proctorio set in the Navigation for the course for the features to be available in the quiz tool. If the external tool has already been added to your course, skip to the next section to add Proctorio to a quiz.
- Go to Settings within your course.
- Click on the Navigation tab.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for Secure Exam Proctor in the Drag items here to hide them from students area.
- Select Secure Exam Proctor and drag it above this section, into the Navigation items for the course.
- Note: Although you’re moving this into the area that generally controls the order of the left Navigation menu this item will not show there for instructors or students at any time.
- Scroll down and click Save.
Adding Proctorio to a Quiz
- Click on Quizzes in the left Navigation menu.
- Click on the name of the quiz that you would like to add Proctorio to.
- Click on the Edit button at the top of the page.
- Scroll down to the Quiz Restrictions area.
- Check Enable Proctorio Secure Exam Proctor and click the link to the Proctorio Settings tab.
- If you are unsure which settings you would like to enable review Proctorio Exam Settings. (You will need to be logged into Canvas to see this content)
- Proctorio requires a time limit for the quiz, if you have not already set one you will be prompted to upon trying to Save.
- If you are planning on having your students take an exam in a computer lab do not enable the Verify Video or Verify Audio features.
- Click on any settings you would like to enable or disable.
- Enabled Proctorio settings are light blue.
- Scroll down and click Save if you are still planning on editing the quiz more or Save & Publish if you would like your students to now see the quiz.
- There are recommended items for University of Minnesota faculty in Canvas Commons. This includes a Practice Quiz, Getting Started for Faculty, and Getting Started for Students guides. You can find these items by searching UMN Proctorio.
- For live chat help directly from Proctorio, click the Proctorio shield icon to the right of the URL address in Chrome.
- For more information on the features and use of Proctorio, go to the Proctorio Professor Support Center. You will need to be logged in to Canvas and have the most up to date version of the Proctorio Chrome Extension on your browser to see this content.