Access Request Forms (ARF): Approve ARFs
Access Request Forms (ARFs) are used to grant secure access to the University's enterprise systems, including PeopleSoft, Data Warehouse, and reporting systems. Once someone submits an Access Request form, it needs to go through a series of approvals by supervisors, data custodians, and others.
There are two methods for managing the approvals in ServiceNow. One uses the ServiceNow application itself, and the other uses automated emails ServiceNow sends out when approval is required.
Please note that no matter which method you choose to use, approvals expire in 14 calendar days. After 7 days an automated reminder email will be sent out.
Method 1: Use the ServiceNow Application to Manage Approvals
Find Pending Approvals
- Access ServiceNow. You'll need to sign in with your Internet ID and password.
- Select the My Approvals link to see a list of requests that are waiting on your approval.
- Select a Requested link to take an action (see next section for more information).
- Select a RITM#######link to get more information about this request.
Approve or Reject a Request
When you select the Requested link, you'll be taken to a page similar to this one:
- Use the Comments space to add any additional comments about the approval or rejection. We specifically suggest adding some comments if you are rejecting only a portion of the request. Any comments entered here will be emailed to the user if the request is rejected.
- Select Save & Go or Approve to approve the request.
- After entering comments, select Save & Go or Reject to reject the request.
Please note: if any portion of the request is not approved, please reject the request and provide more information in the rejection comments.
Method 2: Use Email Notifications to Manage Approvals
Alternatively, you can manage the requests awaiting your approval via email notifications.
This is what the subject and sender look like:
The body of the email will look similar to this:
- Click either the Request Item Number or LINK link to view more information about the request. This will take you to the Request in ServiceNow.
- The Click here to APPROVE ... link will open a new email message, which, when sent, will indicate your approval of this request.
- The Click here to REJECT ... link will also open a new email message. In this email, however, you are given an opportunity to explain the reason for the rejection. See the screen capture below for more information.
Please note: if any portion of the request is not approved, please reject the request and provide more information in the rejection email.
If the applicant encounters difficulties or is uncertain as to which ARFs are required, the Service Desk can escalate an incident to the Data Access and Provisioning team.
The process described in this article was implemented November of 2013 and replaced the old process in which the applicant supplied multiple pages via fax to Data Security.
Note: Some access requires two-factor authentication. This was previously fulfilled via M Key authentication but has now been replaced by Duo Authentication. Please see this guide for more information about Duo.