Security Tools & Downloads
Attempts to clean a computer using a tool may not work. You may need to perform a complete reinstall to remove the infection or malicious software.
Table of Contents
- Antivirus Software
- Application Security Scanning
- Browser Security Checker
- Browser Software & Plug-ins Security Scanning
- Secure File Deletion
- Secure Password Managers
- Spyware Removal Utilities
- System Security Check Up
- System Updates
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- See Anti-Virus Technology Products. This includes more information on Microsoft Windows Defender (for Microsoft Windows 8 and greater) and Microsoft Security Essentials (for Microsoft Windows 7).
- Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition, for Macintosh OS X.4 and greater (free for personal use).
- Virus removal tools for specific infections. These Symantec tools are tailored specifically toward known, named infections. To quickly find an item, sort the list by name or do a page search (press [Ctrl][F]).
Application Security Scanning
Scan for missing security patches for applications (programs) installed on your computer, such as Java or Adobe Reader. Includes help for fixing the security issue.
- McAfee SiteAdvisor helps test websites for spyware, spam and scams. This tool adds safety ratings and search results to your browser.
Browser Software & Plug-ins Security Scanning
Scan for missing security patches or holes in browser software and plug-ins. Includes help to fix the security issues discovered.
- Qualys BrowserCheck, for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and many other browsers (including mobile). Note that you will need to run this tool on each browser you have installed.
Secure File Deletion
- R-Wipe & Clean, for University-owned Windows PCs only. R-Wipe & Clean securely erases the contents of the Recycle Bin, temporary files, browser cache, etc.
- Mac OS X offers built-in secure file deletion through Finder. To access it, go to the Finder menu, and choose the "Secure Empty Trash" option. In Terminal, the "srm" program provides secure file deletion.
Secure Password Managers
Use a strong password/passphrase for the master password that opens your password manager and maintain a back up copy of your password manager.
Spyware Removal Utilities
System Security Check Up
- Free Security Check Up Tools, Stay Safe Online provides links to free security checks for your computer.
- Symantec Security Check, a network-based scan that tests your computer's exposure to a wide range of online threats.
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MSBA), a tool for Windows that helps you determine your security state in accordance with Microsoft security recommendations, and also offers specific remediation guidance.
It is recommended that you use your system's automatic updating feature to download and install the critical updates for you. This helps ensure the updates are compatible with your system and are applied in the correct order.
Individual updates are available to download for later installation on another computer, to reapply a failed update, or to obtain updates not covered by the automatic update process.
Mac OS X
- Update your Mac OS X software using the built-in Software Update application.
- Individual updates
- Get security updates for Windows - Windows 8, Windows 7.
- Individual updates
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- The Virtual Private Network (VPN) enables current University of Minnesota students, faculty, and staff to connect more securely to the University network when using wireless or a non-University Internet Service Provider, transmitting sensitive data, or accessing restricted University resources.